Thursday, May 19, 2011

Being a Child

Everybody has had a blast in the past. Some pasts may be a week ago, some a few hours, and some many years ago. We have all went back to our childhood. Whether it be good or bad. We remember the good and the bad times, the friends we have made and still have or the friends we have made and left us, family members we were really close with, the troubles we got in with our friends and siblings or cousins. We might have even remembered games we played or toys we played with. In my Infants and Toddlers class we have to come up with a child's toy and present it to the class. I was thinking about all the toys I had growing up. Barbies, fairies, waffle blocks. Most of them were ones that were factory made. Then I remembered the Manilla folder games we had. They were definitely homemade toys. There were some we had to match the heads to the bodies of the animal. Some we had to match the color with the name. I loved those games. I made one that the child had to match the head to the body but it just didn't seem like the ones I had growing up. I decided to make one where they had to match the fruit with the name. I had to draw the fruit and color them. That took FOREVER.

While I was drawing my fruit last night I got to thinking about all the toys and games kids play today. They don't play with homemade toys. They are all manufactured. The best toys I had growing up were homemade. Homemade toys allow learning and play time. Sure, manufactured toys do the same but the spirit is just different.

I just came to the conclusion my kids will have homemade toys. Sure, it will take a load of time to make them but it will be worth it. I can be able to sit back and say "My kid is playing with the toys I did growing up and he/she is normal." You don't need manufactured toys to make your kids smart. Just use your imagination and intelligence to make those toys for your kids.

So what's your decision? Homemade or manufactured?

No comments:

Post a Comment